The Institute for Safe Medication Practices released a list of some of the most common medication errors that health care practitioners should look out for in 2020.
Here are the 10 medical errors, as listed by ISMP:
- Selecting the wrong drug after entering the first few letters of its name.
- Prescribing daily, not weekly, oral methotrexate for nononcologic conditions.
- Errors caused by look-alike drug labels.
- Mishearing drug orders from verbal conversations.
- Unsafe overrides of automated dispensing cabinets.
- Unsafe practices associated with adult IV push medications.
- Improperly administering tranexamic acid through intraspinal injection.
- Unsafe labeling of prefilled syringes and infusions by 503b compounders.
- Unsafe use of syringes for vinca alkaloids.
- 1,000-fold overdoses with zinc
If you or a loved one has been the victim of a medication error you may be entitled to compensation. Protect your legal rights and call us now for a free consultation at 1-866-764-6060.